Starting from humble beginnings in Dunedin, Cook Brothers Construction has grown substantially over the last fourteen years. We are currently made up of 200+ team members across Southern Lakes, Canterbury, Otago, and Auckland. We have experienced rapid growth in the last ten years, whilst maintaining our strong attributes and behaviours for a “One Team” culture.
With a focus on Quality, Cook Brothers Construction has an extensive and diverse portfolio that spans new construction, renovation, fit-outs, and design and build, both in the commercial and high-end residential sectors.
At Cook Brothers Construction we operate by an ‘Above the Line’ ethos, that is we are Accountable, Responsible and take Ownership of our actions. We love to see our employees thrive and grow throughout our business. Career Development opportunities are endless, and we are committed to continuously mentoring and coaching others.
We strive to be a National leader in our industry, with a focus on Quality, Client Satisfaction, Sustainability, and Innovation. We believe our team is the heart and soul of us achieving this.
About the Role
We are offering the opportunity for an exceptional team player ready to take on a leadership role in our company as Construction Manager within our Canterbury Office.
Reporting to the Canterbury Regional Manager, this leadership position will be responsible for ensuring a strong team culture and excellence in the delivery of construction management processes and project outcomes.
The role will be required to provide leadership and technical advice to optimise operational aspects of our business and enhance our capabilities.
You will manage direct reports and must be passionate about developing others. You will be a strong leader for the Cook Brothers team and trade partners, with drive, passion, enthusiasm and the ability to work collaboratively with all stakeholders.
- Full oversight and responsibility for all projects to ensure the business achieves delivery and financial targets in collaboration with the Regional Manager and Commercial Manager
- Manage, lead and mentor teams to build high-quality outcomes and support the delivery of on time, on budget construction projects
- Guide and assist the team to meet project demands and timelines
- Client, Subcontractor and Supplier management and support
- Resource allocation, operation management including training and development
- Ensure that Key Performance Objectives of project and team members are met
- Preparing construction programmes and methodologies for tender submissions
- Ensure adherence to construction contracts, programmes, documentation, policies, procedures, relevant Codes and Acts
- Focus on quality assurance and high service delivery
- Leading, managing and reporting on Programme, Health & Safety, Quality, and Budgets
- Assessing and mitigating project risks
- Proven large scale commercial experience over a range of projects
- Excellent technical understanding of construction and construction processes
- Proven ability to plan and contribute to proposals and tenders for major projects
- Strong relationship and management skills
- Approximately 15 years NZ/AUS experience as a senior level Site Manager, Project Manager, or other similar leadership or management role in commercial construction
- Relevant Tertiary Degree/Diploma qualification is preferable but not essential
- Alternatively, a knowledgeable, qualified Builder/LBP with leadership and management experience
- High level of integrity, with high personal and professional standards
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills, including Buildability (technical knowledge)
- Proven Planning, Programming and Methodology experience
- Competent Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and Project skills
- Zero Harm Leadership of Health and Safety
Understanding and application of:
- NZ Building Act/Codes
- NZS Standards including NZS3910 Conditions of Contract
- NZ Construction Contracts Act
- Local Government Acts
- Exciting projects both underway and in the pipeline
- Solid professional career progression in a supportive, growing organisation
- Competitive remuneration package including company vehicle and benefits
- Positive and social company culture
- Good work/life balance
- Health Insurance
- Free access to EAP Services